Month of Service
2021 Iowa CPAs Month of Service
Unite with CPAs, co-workers and accounting students for the annual Iowa CPAs Month of Service to make a positive impact in your local community this September. Learn more about this event and how it started.
Use the 2021 Month of Service hashtag on social media: #IowaCPA2021MOS
IMPORTANT! Report your volunteer activity by Oct. 5
Once your volunteer activity is done, complete the Month of Service report to help us tabulate and share results from this year's event. We also use this information to select Month of Service Award recipients. At a minimum, report your hours and organization served.
INDIVIDUAL reporting here. TEAM reporting (team leader enters) here.
Who can participate
ISCPA members, co-workers and student members are encouraged to participate individually or as a team. Volunteer for a community or charitable cause of your choice for a day or a few hours — any activity that benefits your community counts!
Sign up to participate
Individuals: Register here. Teams: Use the team registration form and refer to these steps for organizing a team. Registration is open through Sept. 15, however Aug. 11 is the deadline for registrations receiving volunteer t-shirts.
Mental health spotlight - NAMI Iowa
Help support ISCPA's 2021 Month of Service spotlight on mental health by joining us in championing NAMI Iowa. The organization serves as a catalyst around advocacy, education, support and public awareness so that all Iowans affected by mental illness can lead better lives. One way to support NAMI Iowa is by contributing to and/or joining our Iowa CPAs Month of Service Team for NAMIWalks Your Way Iowa.
- Donate to Iowa CPAs Month of Service Team for NAMIWalks Your Way Iowa.
- Sign up to participate in a September walk event supporting NAMI: Johnston, Terra Park on 9/25/21 or Bettendorf, Veterans Memorial Park on 9/18/21.
- Learn more about NAMI Iowa and the organization's work.
Looking for other ideas on how you or your team can participate? Host a charity drive at your business or visit VolunteerMatch to find something in your part of the state. Looking for remote options? Here are some websites with virtual or remote volunteering ideas and options:
- Points of Light
- MENTOR and iCouldBe.org have partnered to create a Virtual Mentoring Portal. This online tool is one way to connect with young people while maintaining social distancing guidelines. Go to mentoring.org and enter “virtual” in the search box.
Here are some great resources for volunteer opportunities:
- Food Bank of Iowa (including volunteer from home)
- Eat Greater Des Moines
- BackPack Program across Iowa
- Northeast Iowa BackPack Program
- Healthy Cedar Valley Coalition
- Table to Table
- Iowa Gardening for Good
September is also Hunger Action Month and you can support the Iowa Food Bank Association, which serves children, adults and seniors in all of Iowa’s 99 counties. Simply locate the food bank in your part of the state and find a volunteer opportunity that’s right for you or your team. Questions? Contact your local food bank.
Looking for ideas to volunteer outdoors? Here are some organizations that offer opportunities or links. Anything from helping harvest food (see links above) to restoring benches, planting trees or improving prairies at state parks:
- State park volunteers
- Iowa National Heritage Foundation - individual based activities
- Polk County Conservation - contact for individual or small group projects
- Hartman Reserve Nature Center (Cedar Valley area)
Follow these steps to participate
- Plan your activity. Use the resources listed under "volunteer ideas" above or contact a charity or organization in your local community to find out how you can help in September.
- Register by Aug. 11 to get your free volunteer t-shirt. Free for ISCPA members. Nonmembers may purchase for $20 including sales tax. Registrations after Aug. 11 will not receive t-shirts. Event registration will remain open through Sept. 15.
- Send us pictures and videos of your volunteer activities. Email them to email@example.com to be included in our event recap.
- Share on social media. Wear your volunteer t-shirts and post your pics on your personal or company social media using #IowaCPA2021MOS. Don't forget to include @iowacpas in your tweet or tag the ISCPA Facebook page in your posts.
- Report your service by Oct. 5! Once your volunteer activity is complete, please complete the Month of Service report to help us tabulate results. Simply providing hours worked and the project allows us to calculate the event's impact across Iowa.
INDIVIDUAL reporting. TEAM reporting (team leader enters).
Sponsor the event
For only $500 you or your business can be a champion level sponsor with your name or logo on the event t-shirts and other benefits. Two other sponsorship levels are available. Month of Service sponsorship deadline is Aug. 5.
2021 Month of Service awards
Community impact - Recognizes an individual and a team for outstanding dedication to community by positively impacting the lives of a specific population segment or group in need.
Community spirit - Recognizes an individual and a team for exemplary dedication across their community through commitment of time and resources.
The 2021 awards will be presented at the May 6, 2021, ISCPA Leadership Conference and Annual Meeting. See who received the 2020 Iowa CPA Month of Service Awards.
2020 event information
Check out the community impact from last year's event and see some of the Month of Service volunteers in action in the event photo album on our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/iowacpas.
2021 event sponsors
|Carney Alexander Marold & Co LLP||City State Bank||McKee, Voorhees & Sease|