- Legislative developments
- A full chapter devoted to determining the best planning options for maximizing joint Social Security benefits
- Retirement benefits: Amount of benefits in various circumstances; how the amounts are distributed within the family unit
- Qualification: Has the client retired? How business entities may be used for Social Security advantage
- Income taxation of Social Security: avoidance tactics
- Spousal benefits: Should a spouse return to work? What benefits does a spouse have and when and how do they relate to benefits decisions by the client?
- When can hiring the spouse increase overall benefits? Why should both spouses qualify for survivor benefits?
- Disability benefits
- When to start Social Security benefits: Advantages and disadvantages at ages 62, 66, and 70
- Coordinating benefits: Should you take Social Security first and higher-balance IRA distributions later, or take IRA balances first and enhanced Social Security benefits later?
- Pensions: Distribution strategies; how to use the minimum distribution rules in concert with Social Security benefits
- IRAs: Is it time to convert to a Roth?
- Medicare, Part D prescription drugs: what retirees need to know
CPAs and other business professionals
To provide background information on the Social Security system and strategies needed to deal with Social Security and other retirement planning issues.
- This seminar is only available via live webcast.
- This seminar qualifies for 8 hours of Certified Financial Planner (CFP) CPE Credit
David Peters is an independent tax preparer for Peters Tax Preparation & Consulting, and a financial advisor and outside representative for Carroll Financial Associates. He has over fourteen years of experience in financial services, including three years in the hedge fund industry and six years in the insurance industry. David was the first-ever Chief Financial Officer of Compare.com, an insurance price comparison company - a position he held for over three years. He was also instrumental in the early success of Elephant Auto Insurance, a six state auto insurance carrier, located in Glen Allen, VA. He holds four masters degrees, and is currently pursuing his PhD in Financial Planning. He regularly teaches courses in accounting, finance, insurance, financial planning, and ethics in Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina. He is an Adjunct Professor in Finance and Accounting at Winthrop University in Rock Hill, SC, and teaches regularly for Kaplan Test Preparation. He contributes regularly to various CPA publications, including NCACPA’s Interim Report, SCACPA’s CPA Report, and VSCPA’s Disclosures.
Non-Member Price $395.00
Member Price $295.00